7/15/2009

Driving exam... the Georgian way

One could argue that obtaining a driver's license in Georgia is pretty easy. After all, every idiot has one, and nobody can really drive anyway. In about a week from now I'm planning on passing the examinations and become the latest addition to the dangerous folk occupying the streets of Tbilisi.

Even if I say so myself, I can drive. Therefore it's not the practical examination I'm worried about. The theoretical examination is what gives me some cause for concern. Being a multi-cultural country, Georgia offers the theoretical examination in no less than 8 different languages (Georgian, Russian, Turkish, Armenian, Azeri, Ossetian, Abkhazian and of course English).

Very cool. Even foreigners like me, who don't speak Russian and who only know basic every day Georgian can get a license. You'd think so. However, the English translation of the exam is so stunningly bad that at times it's impossible to understand what the question actually means. From simple mistakes like saying "dry" where they mean "wet", to confusing left with right and scentence construction that makes you wonder whether the person doing the translation actually knew any English at all.

Very funny. Except when you actually have to pass the examination, of course.

Below the highlights:


I answered 3 on this one. Only to find out later option 1 should read "wet".


Watch the indicator light in the image. What way am I going?


This would be rape of the English language.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And? Did you pass or is it have you passsed? Well, if you are/have, congratulations. I will see to it that I won't drive when you're on the roads.

Hans